Wednesday 30 September 2015

How to Cope with Early Finishers!!



Sometimes the last thing you want to hear 10 minutes into a task is 'Teacher, I'm finished!' only to see that they have put in a great effort and are indeed finished.

I always try to keep them occupied and busy, particularly as if I am teaching a multigrade class. The following are strategies I use to keep children challenged in a meaningful way (I don't see the point in giving them 20 more of the same Maths sums or 10 more sentences in English. Instead I prefer to give them critical thinking tasks or problem solving tasks).

1. DEAR Time (Drop Everything and Read)
Encourage the children to have a library book on their tables always and they can pick them up as soon as they are finished a piece of work.

Image Source
2. Free Writing
Allow them to have a copy where they can write without any guidance. It allows them to be creative for themselves. While I always monitor these copies, I don't correct them to allow the child to take ownership of their writing. I usually do this as a whole class activity 3 times per week for 10 minutes. Last year, children surprised me by practicing genres we had previously explored, writing poetry and even pieces as Gaeilge!

3. Busy Bee Area
Depending on the class I have I either make a Busy Bee Area or a Busy Bee Booklet for the children. Included in this area are brainteasers, Sudokus, book review templates and tasks to challenge the children. They automatically go to this area/booklet when they have completed their work.  Take a look at the link here if you would like to set one up in your classroom.



4. Boggle/Target Numbers
We might have a boggle board in our room and the children have a weekly challenge to make as many words as possible.
A weekly/daily target number which they have to make with a specific set of numbers or make that number using as many operations as possible. Click on the image below to find a free outline to download.
5. Computer tasks
Whether it's typing an article for the school blog, writing up an excellent piece of work they have previously completed or doing Interactive Maths games, it's great to use the ICT facilities that you have (hopefully!) in your room.

No comments:

Post a Comment